Berkeley universities

Choose a topic of your choice, opportunities will follow

Dear Madam,

I finished my studies in computer engineering and recently started working in a multinational company. I am interested in pursuing a masters abroad in the field of data analysis or data science. Can you please guide me regarding the additional steps I need to take? What is the cost of studying abroad?


Dear Rajesh,

First you need to decide in which country you want to study. The steps to follow will depend on the choice of country. If, for example, you want to travel to the United States, you need to take the GRE and TOEFL IBT tests. If you want to study in the UK, you will need to take the IELTS Academic Test. The cost still varies from country to country. All masters programs in the UK are one year in duration and will cost between Rs 20 and Rs 30 lakh for one year of tuition and living costs, depending on the university. In the US, your MS program will last for two years and cost you around Rs 45 lakh per year. Education at public universities in Germany is free for everyone. For IT, the top universities in the United States are Carnegie Mellon, University of Illinois Urbana Champaign, Georgia Tech, and Wisconsin Madison. In the UK the best schools are St Andrews, UCL, Warwick, Edinburgh and Queen Mary. In Germany I would recommend TU Munich, RWTH Aachen and Karlsruhe Institute of Technology.

Dear Madam,

My daughter completed her BE in Mechanical Engineering with a GPA greater than 9 out of 10 and worked in a steel company for a year. Today, she has quit her job and is looking for graduate study opportunities abroad. She developed an interest in the field of robotics for her graduate studies. Can you please suggest reputable universities for masters degree in robotics in USA, UK and Germany? You can also suggest universities in other countries.


Dear JT,

Carnegie Mellon University, MIT, UC Berkeley, University of Southern California, Columbia, Georgia Tech, University of Pennsylvania are among the best in the United States for robotics. KTH Royal Institute of Technology, University of Freiburg, TU Munich, TU Delft, Swiss Federal Institute of Technology, University of Bonn are well-known European universities. Imperial College London, the University of Sheffield, Manchester, Essex, Edinburgh and Kings College London are the most popular choices in the UK.

Dear Madam,

I am a standard 10th grade student and want to study +1 and +2 abroad. Is it a good idea? Please guide.


Dear Hema,

I suggest you go abroad after completing the 12th grade. Completing your high school education in India will not only be cheaper, but it will also give you a solid foundation. The only reason you should consider taking Class 11 and 12 in another country is if your parents are moving to that country. After the age of 18, it is the perfect age to go out and experience an international education in a foreign country.

Dear Madam,

I am interested in an academic career – a career that involves research and teaching. I have a master’s degree in economics. How to proceed ?


Dear Latha,

Pursue your doctorate in economics. Choose a research topic, identify a few universities that offer a doctorate in your area of ​​specialization. Write to professors at these universities and share your research interest with them. If a university is confident that you will add credit to its department, it will accept you as a university researcher, teaching assistant, or research assistant. Most doctoral programs are fully funded.

Dear Madam,

Many people who go to study abroad appear to be STEM students. What are the opportunities for humanities students? What similarities and differences can we expect?


Dear Shambhu,

Students heading to the United States seek STEM courses as it gives them a longer stay option as part of optional hands-on training and opens up more employment opportunities. On the other hand, the UK allows all students regardless of their course to stay behind for two years after graduation. New Zealand grants all international students a three-year post-study work visa. Canada allows all students to apply for PR. So go ahead and choose the subject of your choice, there are more and more countries waiting to welcome Indian students.

Dear Madam,

I want to work in product and graphic design. I have a degree in journalism, psychology and English. Which courses should I choose and which universities are best for it? Please guide.


Dear AP,

You could take courses like digital media, graphic design, visual communication, illustration, etc. To take a course like product design, you will need to prepare a portfolio. With your current education and a three year degree I suggest you apply to UK universities. You just need to take the IELTS Academic Test and build an impressive portfolio of 10 of your work with one or more mediums that you are comfortable working with. UK universities known for product design or graphic design are Nottingham Trent University, Kingston, University of Westminster, Bournemouth, University of the Arts London, Glasgow School of Art and Leeds School of Art .